Today is my mother’s birthday. She is ageless, forever beautiful and forever in my heart. She fancies herself the worst mother on the planet, so, I am going to list all the reasons why she is, just this once, completely wrong.
- She has never once told me I shouldn’t eat something because it will make me fat.
- She has always encourage me to follow my dreams and turned them into realities.
- She made sure I loved vegetables and didn’t know what pop-tarts were until my first sleep over (while also letting me eat all the ice cream I wanted).
- She read to me every night.
- She let me sleep with books in my crib.
- She pre-ordered Harry Potter books for each of her children so we could all read them at once.
- She plans the best trips down the to the last Rick Steve’s detail.
- She made me a real breakfast before school every morning.
- She made us all dinner from scratch every night.
- She climbed into a dumpster of elementary school lunch trash to retrieve my retainer (not once, but twice).
- She drew a clown for me to color-in even though I was being a brat.
- She makes six pies during Thanksgiving.
- When I lived outside the bus range she drove me to school on time every day and put up with me harassing her for taking time to pour her coffee into a travel mug; A task that I was sure was going to make me late.
- She has accepted and loved each of my friends like they were her own children.
- She has never stopped me from seeing a boy even when my father (rightfully) disapproved.
- She has put up with my countless melt downs and dealt with my irrational fear of everything from telephones to water.
- She picked me up off the ground and helped me back to the couch when I passed out on the toilet while recovering from knee surgery.
- She is always thinking of me, looking out for me and helping me plan and decide things but she never tells me what to do unless I ask.
I could go on for days, Mom, and I won’t let you refute my claims. You are simply the best. And on top of all that you have perfect skin, frizz free gold and silver hair, beautiful green eyes and are the strongest delicate flower I know.